At Aranda Primary School training in leadership begins in the classroom and develops as students progress through the school. It involves formal leadership programs and practical leadership experiences. The approach recognises that students can be leaders across many different areas, and that leadership skills learned in primary school can lay the foundations for future leadership opportunities.
The following represents the programs on leadership and the leadership experiences implemented at Aranda Primary. These are regularly reviewed and added to.
- Civics and Citizenship
- Sports Leaders
- Capital Kids Leadership Seminar
- Inquiry Based Curriculum Units
- Public Speaking: e.g. Rostrum
- G-Force Green Team
- Student Council (SRC)
- School Leaders and Vice Leaders
- House Leaders and Vice Leaders
- Class Meetings
- Buddy Classes
- Preschool Liaison Program
- Class monitors
- Leading whole school assembly
- Presenting or performing at assemblies and official functions
- Meeting and guiding visitors around the school
- Introducing and thanking visitors
Community School Service
- Sports Equipment Monitors
- Coaching Program (IT, reading etc)
- Leading junior assembly
Aranda Primary values the role appropriate older students can play in modelling leadership. Canberra High School students are actively involved in programs at Aranda.